Last week, I outlined my August goals and said I’d provide weekly updates on them. As a recap, my goals were:
- Outline and complete a draft of comedy pilot.
- Revise hour-long procedural pilot.
- Participate actively in class and turn in all homework assignments on time.
- Sign up for improv.
- Write everyday for 30 minutes.
- Read at least one book on screenwriting instead of allowing them to collect dust on my bookshelf.
So far, I’ve been pretty productive. To that end, last week I:
- Outlined a draft of my comedy pilot. I’ll need to go back in later this week and revise it, but I’m feeling okay about the act outs and the way that things are coming together.
- Started my revisions. I usually put things away for a month or so after I write a draft and this was no exception. I really thought what I’d written was terrible, at the time, but rereading it shows that I was overreacting and it’s pretty well plotted and the world feels like it’s got a solid foundation. Obviously I’m going back in and doing a bunch of work, but it’s less a Page One rewrite and more of a minor surgery.
- Submitted all my UCLA Extension work on time and gave feedback. Still not in love with the project I’m working on there, but I don’t really love any of my projects until I’ve done one round of rewrites.
- Attended improv. Wrote a whole post about it, not going to rehash it here.
- Went 7/7 on writing for 30 minutes a day. My gym goals weren’t nearly as well hit last week, but I chalk some of that up to day job stuff and some personal things I had to handle.
My plan this week is to continue tackling rewrites, chip away at the new class project, go back to improv for round two, and hit up that outline for my comedy this weekend.